Social Work and Law (J.D./M.S.W.)

The College of Law and the College of Social Work’s joint-degree program in Law and Social Work, J.D./M.S.W., permits completion of both degree programs concurrently. Following admission to both colleges or departments, a joint-degree student is required to submit the necessary joint-degree application and receive approval from the faculty advisor at the College of Law and the faculty advisor in the College of Social Work to pursue the joint degree. Interested applicants normally begin their study at the College of Law. A joint-degree student who wishes to enroll for any coursework in the other college or department before completing the first year of law school must obtain the prior written approval of the College of Law faculty program advisor. Current law students may also apply to the joint-degree program by the end of their first year in law school.Once enrolled in the first-year law curriculum they will then complete all necessary documentation for the application process through the College of Social Work as well as a joint-degree application before June 1st for the traditional program or July 1st for the advanced placement program. All required documents should be returned to the College of Law Office of Admissions.

Applicants to the College of Social Work must have a bachelor’s degree and an upper division (junior and senior) grade point average of 3.0 or better. Applicants must take the GRE to be considered. Applicants should contact the College of Social Work directly to obtain specific information on the necessary GRE requirements. 

Application and Degree Requirements