Urban and Regional Planning and Law (J.D./M.S.P.)

The College of Law and Department of Urban and Regional Planning’s joint-degree program in Law and Urban and Regional Planning, J.D./M.S.P., permits completion of both degree programs concurrently. Following admission to both colleges or departments, a joint-degree student is required to submit the necessary joint-degree application and receive approval from the faculty advisor at the College of Law and the faculty advisor in the Department of Urban and Regional Planning to pursue the joint degree. Interested applicants normally begin their study at the College of Law. A joint-degree student who wishes to enroll for any coursework in the other college or department before completing the first-year of law school must obtain the prior written approval of the College of Law faculty program advisor. Current law students may also apply to the joint-degree program by the end of their first year in law school. Once enrolled in the first-year law curriculum they will then complete all necessary documentation for the application process through the Department of Urban and Regional Planning as well as a joint-degree application before July 1st. All required documents should be returned to the College of Law Office of Admissions.

Applicants to the Department of Urban and Regional planning must take the GRE to be considered. Applicants should contact the Department of Urban and Regional Planning directly to obtain specific information on the necessary GRE requirements.