Admission to the J.D. Program will be based on the student’s outstanding performance in the LL.M. program, including:
- Consideration of grades and difficulty of courses
- The written recommendation of two professors who taught the student in the Florida State LL.M. program (in these recommendations the professors shall indicate how the LL.M. student performed in comparison to his or her classmates in the course(s) involved)
- The Associate Dean for International Program’s own assessment of the LL.M. student’s academic performance in the LL.M. program and whether the student is likely to be successful if admitted to the J.D. program as a transfer student
Admitted LL.M. students may receive up to 29 credits from the LL.M. Program toward the J.D. degree. Students must complete the J.D program no later than four calendar years after matriculation into the LL.M program. Only students currently enrolled in, or who have graduated from, the College of Law's LL.M. Program may apply to this program. The Admission Committee recommends applying after fully completing the LL.M. Program.
Application Process & Deadline
Application Period by Semester
Application Opens: April 1
Deadline: December 1
Application Opens: October 1
Deadline: April 15
Application Opens: January 1
Deadline: July 31
Applications received after the deadline may not be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
- Application Form
- Application Fee
- Our application does not have a fee.
- Personal Statement
- A written personal statement with information about any personal experiences, achievements, plans, goals or other factors the applicant would like the admissions committee to take into account. The statement should indicate what the applicant hopes to gain through the transfer into the JD program.
- A completed and updated resume is required and must be submitted with the application.
- Letter of Good Standing
- You will be required to request a letter of good standing from the Registrar’s Office at the Florida State University College of Law and submit it with your application.
- LL.M. Law School Transcripts
- You will need to include an official copy of your LL.M. program transcript from the Florida State University College of Law. This can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office.
- Assessment of Performance from the Associate Dean for International Programs
- All applicants will be required to request a letter of performance from the standing Associate Dean for International Programs. This letter will be submitted directly from the Associate Dean to the LL.M. Program Coordinator.
- Letters of Recommendation
- Two letters of recommendation are required. Both letters of recommendation should be from an academic instructor familiar with the student’s work in the LL.M. Program.
- Letters of recommendation should be submitted directly to the LL.M. Program Coordinator by the recommender.
- Updated Certificate of Financial Responsibility (If applicable)
The completed application must be submitted in person or by mail to:
Florida State University
College of Law (LL.M. Programs)
425 West Jefferson Street
Tallahassee, FL 32306-1601
Admissions decisions are made on a continuous basis on completed applications. If you are admitted you will be required to submit the following:
- $200.00 seat deposit
- Completed decision statement
- Updated Visa documents to the Center for Global Engagment (if applicable)
- Residency Form
- Proof of health Insurance (submitted to University Health Services directly)
- Health History Form (submitted to University Health Services directly)
- Duty to Disclose Form
- Consent to Release Form